You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch Id not working to login to my macbook air

I have a brand new Macbook air that I got about a week ago. The touch id works great once I've unlocked my mac for passwords etc. , but everytime I try to unlock my Mac it never works. I already checked my touch id settings and it is enable to unlock my laptop. What should I do?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 2:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 1:40 AM

From support.apple.com :

In some situations, you need to enter your password instead of using Touch ID:

• If you've just restarted your Mac
  • If you've logged out of your user account
  • If your fingerprint isn't recognized five times in a row
  • If you haven't unlocked your Mac in more than 48 hours 
  • If you've just enrolled or deleted fingerprints

If you still need help unlocking your Mac with Touch ID, follow these tips. Try again after each one:

• Make sure that your fingers are clean and dry.
  • Moisture, lotions, sweat, oils, cuts, or dry skin might affect fingerprint recognition. Certain activities can also temporarily affect fingerprint recognition, including exercising, showering, swimming, or cooking.
  • Your finger should cover Touch ID completely. While Touch ID is scanning, don't press down or move your finger.
  • Try setting up a different fingerprint.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 9, 2019 1:40 AM in response to bethroseelder

From support.apple.com :

In some situations, you need to enter your password instead of using Touch ID:

• If you've just restarted your Mac
  • If you've logged out of your user account
  • If your fingerprint isn't recognized five times in a row
  • If you haven't unlocked your Mac in more than 48 hours 
  • If you've just enrolled or deleted fingerprints

If you still need help unlocking your Mac with Touch ID, follow these tips. Try again after each one:

• Make sure that your fingers are clean and dry.
  • Moisture, lotions, sweat, oils, cuts, or dry skin might affect fingerprint recognition. Certain activities can also temporarily affect fingerprint recognition, including exercising, showering, swimming, or cooking.
  • Your finger should cover Touch ID completely. While Touch ID is scanning, don't press down or move your finger.
  • Try setting up a different fingerprint.

Touch Id not working to login to my macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.