You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving old iTunes library to Mojave?

I recently purchased a new Mac to replace my aging MacBook Air. Rather than transfer all of my files over, I’m starting with a clean install and only taking some items. One very (very) important item I’d like to transfer is my vast iTunes library, which has spanned over sixteen years and three different Macintosh computers. The old Air is running El Capitan 10.11.6 (with iTunes 12.8.2.3) and the new Mac is running Mojave, so the iTunes application on the new machine is still intact. I started by transferring everything in the Music folder on the old Air to an external hard drive. When I opened the Music folder I noticed it contained the following subfolders:

Album Artwork

iTunes Media

iTunes Music

Mobile Applications

Previous iTunes Libraries

iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Library.xml are both in there, as well.

I did not have the library consolidated on the old Air, although I did have the "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized" checked. It also looks like the iTunes Media folder location is pointing to something in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder. (I vaguely recall updating iTunes during the old Air’s time and having it wipe a lot of the data - I think I pointed it back to an old folder to get some of that data back).

I don’t recall there being any major issues when I moved my files from the previous Mac to the old Air, which would have been in late 2012. (I do remember losing two or three files, but all the data was OK). However, I wasn’t aware until today of the many different folders, since everything in iTunes on the old Air seemed to be working OK. (Aside from losing play counts on some files when I updated it once, which was a minor concern at the time but I’ve gotten over it. That being said, I wouldn’t want to lose them again). I do know there have been issues moving legacy libraries from very old versions of iTunes into the new Apple Music app, and that is mainly what I am looking to avoid.

a) What is the best way to proceed with the import?

b) Should I attempt to consolidate the files on the old Air first? (One potential concern with this is the old Air is dangerously low on hard disk space and I have many, many music files).

c) If I just drag and drop the contents of the iTunes folder to the Music folder on the Mojave Mac, will that work?

I’ve got backups of everything on the old Air with a separate Time Machine drive.

Also, to complicate matters, I’m an Apple Music subscriber, too.

Any input would be appreciated - my iTunes library is one of my most cherished possessions and it would be a bummer to lose all of that data. Thank you!

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 4:30 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 11, 2019 1:20 PM in response to AdamC

Hey AdamC,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! Congrats on the new Mac! I understand you want to transfer your iTunes library to your new Mac. I definitely understand how important your music is, and I want to make sure you're able to get that safely transferred.

I recommend taking a look at the resource below as this addresses multiple options for transferring your library to another computer.

Move your iTunes library to another computer

You mentioned you're also an Apple Music subscriber, so I also want to share the resource below with you. This goes over how to use Sync Library (with macOS Catalina) so you can access your library across all your devices.

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Jan 17, 2020 12:23 PM in response to AdamC

Adam, any luck finding a solution? I'm having the same problem, converting an El Capitan iTunes 10 library to work with Mojave iTunes 12 library. I recall a library conversion being part of the upgrade to the new iTunes back in 2016 but I believe it was a part of the upgrade to Sierra. Let me know if you come across any solutions. Thx. - Bob

Moving old iTunes library to Mojave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.