You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my files constantly become invisible?

Whenever I do not go switch to windows for a while, my laptop just assumes that the downloaded files are not present. This causes me to have to delete all my files(usually rainbow six Siege), and then re download it, which becomes an extreme hassle.

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 9:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 10:48 PM

Actually, yes, prior to this, it was every swap that effected Windows only, however, now it is every few days that I do not change to Windows. I use Windows for the sole use of playing games, so the exchange between the two is not consistent. What makes this very interesting to me is that it is never two way, always only effects Windows even if I stayed on Windows for 6 days. I was also able to find out that it was not a file corruption but something else. I ran tests for all my files and they all showed to be intact, yet my computer does not seem to recognize that those files are within the folders.Anyways, I have set up another test where I put all the info out on the desktop and left it there to check if it is within the program folder or just in general. If something unique happens to that, I will give an immediate response. Why do I keep pressing solved. I such a fool. Please ignore the solved, I keep pressing it on accident. Too fast of a mouse. How do I make it unsolved? Oh God.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 9, 2019 10:48 PM in response to Loner T

Actually, yes, prior to this, it was every swap that effected Windows only, however, now it is every few days that I do not change to Windows. I use Windows for the sole use of playing games, so the exchange between the two is not consistent. What makes this very interesting to me is that it is never two way, always only effects Windows even if I stayed on Windows for 6 days. I was also able to find out that it was not a file corruption but something else. I ran tests for all my files and they all showed to be intact, yet my computer does not seem to recognize that those files are within the folders.Anyways, I have set up another test where I put all the info out on the desktop and left it there to check if it is within the program folder or just in general. If something unique happens to that, I will give an immediate response. Why do I keep pressing solved. I such a fool. Please ignore the solved, I keep pressing it on accident. Too fast of a mouse. How do I make it unsolved? Oh God.

Dec 9, 2019 10:49 PM in response to choiryan

choiryan wrote:

Actually, yes, prior to this, it was every swap that effected Windows only, however, now it is every few days that I do not change to Windows. I use Windows for the sole use of playing games, so the exchange between the two is not consistent. What makes this very interesting to me is that it is never two way, always only effects Windows even if I stayed on Windows for 6 days. I was also able to find out that it was not a file corruption but something else. I ran tests for all my files and they all showed to be intact, yet my computer does not seem to recognize that those files are within the folders.Anyways, I have set up another test where I put all the info out on the desktop and left it there to check if it is within the program folder or just in general.

Please post back your results. Take a look at https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/folder_changes_view.html

Why do I keep pressing solved. I such a fool. Please ignore the solved, I keep pressing it on accident. Too fast of a mouse. How do I make it unsolved? Oh God.

No worries. You cannot 'un-solve' it.

Dec 9, 2019 11:07 PM in response to Loner T

Firstly, how do I un-solve the question, and second, I got the FilesActivityWatch, do you want me to take a pic of the entire thing right now, or when something happens? Also, maybe an important factor is that I haven't gotten my windows yet, I am not sure how this will effect the software, but it may have a corrolation. I am about to buy windows 10 pro. At this point, my guess is that my files are connected temporarily in Ram, and when I switch over, the computer sees it as additional usage of space and severs the connection.

Dec 10, 2019 5:37 AM in response to choiryan

choiryan wrote:

Firstly, how do I un-solve the question,

ASC does not support 'un-solving' a discussion/question.

and second, I got the FilesActivityWatch, do you want me to take a pic of the entire thing right now, or when something happens?

When something happens...

Also, maybe an important factor is that I haven't gotten my windows yet, I am not sure how this will effect the software, but it may have a corrolation. I am about to buy windows 10 pro.

Is your W10 installation currently unactivated?

At this point, my guess is that my files are connected temporarily in Ram, and when I switch over, the computer sees it as additional usage of space and severs the connection.

Your files persist on disk, and may be cached in memory during use. The in-memory structures should not change the persistent directory structure.

Why does my files constantly become invisible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.