You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Catalina Version 10.15.1 (19B88) problem - Cannot open files stored on the desktop or in the Documents folder

I use a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) with OS Catalina Version 10.15.1 (19B88), and recently have been experiencing a frequently reoccurring problem - I cannot open any files, e.g.: xlsx, docx, pdf, Numbers, Pages, etc stored on the desktop or in the Documents folder, unless I restart the Finder.

Files in other folders, such as Music, Pictures, etc. can be opened without any problem.

Also, saving a file from iCloud on the Mac desktop gives an error: " The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003)".

Any help would be much appreciated...

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 4:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 4:49 PM

At this point with 15.2 available there are two suggestions, in no particular order. Both are worth doing:

• Upgrade to 15.2 and see if that resolves the issue
  • Boot into Safe Mode and see if that resolves the issue

Similar questions

1 reply

OS Catalina Version 10.15.1 (19B88) problem - Cannot open files stored on the desktop or in the Documents folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.