You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot stream home videos on mac to apple tv

Every since apple tv separated movies from itunes - i cannot stream "Home Videos" from my mac to my apple tv. I can stream "movies". Home sharing is on - on both devices. I have apple tv 4k and the latest os mac.

Apple TV 4K, 13

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 6:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 8:27 AM

Hi and thank you for your reply. On my mac within the apple tv app - my home videos are located in my Library. The four tabs at the top of the mac's apply tv app are "watch now", "Movies", "tv shows", "kids" and "library". Under "library" there are Movies, TV Shows and Home Videos. My home videos are correctly located in the Home Videos section of my Library. I can play these on my computer. Under system preferences > sharing (on my Mac). Home sharing is on. Media sharing and Printer sharing is on. The only videos I can access in "apple tv" are the Movies in located in my Mac's apply tv app. The only way I can play my home videos on my "apply tv" is to play them on my Mac and stream them to my "apply tv".

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2019 8:27 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi and thank you for your reply. On my mac within the apple tv app - my home videos are located in my Library. The four tabs at the top of the mac's apply tv app are "watch now", "Movies", "tv shows", "kids" and "library". Under "library" there are Movies, TV Shows and Home Videos. My home videos are correctly located in the Home Videos section of my Library. I can play these on my computer. Under system preferences > sharing (on my Mac). Home sharing is on. Media sharing and Printer sharing is on. The only videos I can access in "apple tv" are the Movies in located in my Mac's apply tv app. The only way I can play my home videos on my "apply tv" is to play them on my Mac and stream them to my "apply tv".

Dec 14, 2019 3:51 AM in response to Jon P.

Home Sharing is operated through the Computers app on Apple TV, same as before. In the Computers app, content is segmented by media type in the tabs at the top: Movies, TV Shows, Music, Photos, and More (= Home Videos, Podcasts, and Audiobooks). Go to More﹥Home Videos to see the home videos in the shared library.

You can add home videos to the shared library using the Library tab of the Apple TV app (drag-and-drop), when running macOS Catalina without iTunes on your Mac.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

cannot stream home videos on mac to apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.