You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AMD GPU spikes to 100% all the time, 16inch MacBook Pro AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Can someone tell me why in the activity monitor my GPU history is at 100% more then half the time when not doing any intensive tasks? Google Chrome is the champion.. even with only a few tabs open, but also VLC player, Garageband etc.. I am not doing anything crazy here.. no external screen, not a lot of apps open, no virtual machine.. **** with these specs I should be able to run all that together and even that should not be taxing the GPU so much..?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 1:39 PM

9 replies

Dec 18, 2019 1:58 PM in response to Eric19821982

Good afternoon Eric19821982,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are seeing your GPU at 100% on your 16-inch MacBook Pro. You indicated Google Chrome is the main application showing in Activity Monitor.

If you haven't already done so, please update to macOS Catalina 10.15.2 and restart your Mac.

If the issue persists, as a test, I would quit Google Chrome, restart your computer, and use the native Safari app to compare the results for the two browsers. You can also start your computer in safe mode, and in a new user account, to see how these changes affect the levels you are seeing in Activity Monitor.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac

Please reply to this thread if the issue persists after trying the steps above, and I'll do my best to help you with this!

Take care.

Dec 19, 2019 4:34 AM in response to MichelleT18

Hello Michelle,

It is on 10.15.2, and not only Google Chrome. I tried a new user, same thing.

For instance, If I run a video program called Resolume with same task & settings in a 2015 Macbook pro with same Catalina 10.15.2 the GPU only goes op to 75%. With my new macbook pro and 8GB of memory this stays at nearly 100% all the time..

Do I have a faulty GPU or is there a bug in catalina 10.15.2?

AMD GPU spikes to 100% all the time, 16inch MacBook Pro AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.