You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use iCloud as Photo Backup

First of all, sorry if this has been answered several times already but I have not been able to find the answer :-)

I am currently using an online backup service to keep a copy of my 50gb+ photo folders from my mac. These are photos taken with my old school camera and I only need them on my mac.

I am running out of space on my mac and would like to switch to iCloud as backup to utilize the 'optimize storage' on my mac. I know that will not remove the files from my mac but will reduce the disk usage. I guess that would be possible as long as I choose 200gb storage plan?

However, I do not need the pictures downloaded to my iPhone or iPad which are on the same iCloud account. Is that possible?

Feeling hopefull and waiting for your response :-)

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 1:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 1:48 PM

No, what you're describing is syncing to icloud read here Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

backing up to icloud is different What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Look into google photos as a backup of your photos.

1 reply

Use iCloud as Photo Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.