You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update iMovie on High Sierra

iMac Core i5" 3.1 27-Inch (Mid-2011)X 10.13.6

I have just upgraded from Yosemite to High Sierra and I'm having big problems with iMovie (10.1.1). I can view my projects and edit them but, as soon as I try to Share any project, even to the Theater, iMovie crashes every time. So I thought I should first make sure that I'm on the latest release of iMovie for High Sierra, which I believe is 10.1.8.

However, when I try to 'Update' from the AppStore, nothing happens, only a swirling progress indicator. So my questions are:

1. Should I be trying to upgrade iMovie to 10.1.8?
  2. If so, how do I do it?

Thanks,

Peter

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 6:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 4:12 PM

Thanks for that advice. I'm not sure if I already had iMovie 9.0.9 installed although I didn't recognise its layout when I briefly started it up. However, it looked different in the Applications list because it was in a folder so I may have just missed it.

Anyway, with all older versions of iMovie in the Trash, I tried again from the Purchases list and, after 2 failed attempts (download failed), it eventually installed iMovie 10.1.12. I've started it up and shared one of my projects to a file without any crash. I notice that there doesn't appear to be a 'Share to Theater' option in this release, nor in fact a Theater at all. I liked that feature.

So, yes, I believe I've succeeded, with your help, in upgrading to an iMovie release that doesn't crash. Many thanks to both responders. I'm mighty relieved!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 19, 2019 4:12 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

Thanks for that advice. I'm not sure if I already had iMovie 9.0.9 installed although I didn't recognise its layout when I briefly started it up. However, it looked different in the Applications list because it was in a folder so I may have just missed it.

Anyway, with all older versions of iMovie in the Trash, I tried again from the Purchases list and, after 2 failed attempts (download failed), it eventually installed iMovie 10.1.12. I've started it up and shared one of my projects to a file without any crash. I notice that there doesn't appear to be a 'Share to Theater' option in this release, nor in fact a Theater at all. I liked that feature.

So, yes, I believe I've succeeded, with your help, in upgrading to an iMovie release that doesn't crash. Many thanks to both responders. I'm mighty relieved!

Dec 18, 2019 8:53 AM in response to peterfromharbury

Yes, I would be good to update to iMovie 10.1.8 if you can.

Try dragging your iMovie app from the Applications folder into the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then sign in to the app store (File/App store) and open your app store account by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store sidebar. That will reveal a list of your purchases, and you will see iMovie there. See if you can update it from there. If the update is unavailable, drag your old iMovie app out of the trash and put it back into the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Dec 19, 2019 12:25 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks for the quick reply, Rich. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I followed your instructions and pressed 'Update' against iMovie in my list of purchases and initially I didn't think anything had happened. Then I noticed that iMove 9.0.9 had been installed! I tried running it just to see if it would work but it, too, crashed when I tried to open a project for editing.

So, I'm back to where I started. I've put iMovie 10.1.1 back in the Applications folder. Any ideas?

Dec 19, 2019 10:16 AM in response to peterfromharbury

Try advice given from Rich again but this time put both iMovie 10.1.1 and ver 9.0.9 in the trash and once again do not empty trash just yet.

If you do manage to get iMovie 10.1.8 then just drag iMovie 9.0.9 from the trash, although it seems that you will be unable to use it.

How iMovie version 9.0.9 was installed is a mystery.Had you by any chance already had it installed?

Cannot update iMovie on High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.