You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS battery health

Hi! So I have the iPhone XS and it’s been around 8 months. My battery health is at 90% and I think that’s really low for only 8 months. I’m not sure what I can do but does replacing your battery help that?

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 11:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 12:22 PM

Replacing the battery will help, but it's not certain that Apple will replace batteries on demand any more. During the promotional battery replacement service ($29 in the United States) Apple was replacing any battery on eligible iPhone models on demand, but only once without the replaced battery being under 80% battery health. Newer reports are that Apple is going back their previous requirement that they will only replace a battery with a specific defect or under 80%.

As for 90% - I wouldn't consider that unusual. The rating is for 500 cycles to 80%. It's a simplification, but that's a linear 1% decline for every 25 charge cycles. With that simplification, it's 250 cycles to 90%. That's certainly possible in 8 months if it's used. Also - there's a distribution of outcomes, so some batteries might decline faster and some slower for any number of reasons, including just randomness.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 18, 2019 12:22 PM in response to reegan6

Replacing the battery will help, but it's not certain that Apple will replace batteries on demand any more. During the promotional battery replacement service ($29 in the United States) Apple was replacing any battery on eligible iPhone models on demand, but only once without the replaced battery being under 80% battery health. Newer reports are that Apple is going back their previous requirement that they will only replace a battery with a specific defect or under 80%.

As for 90% - I wouldn't consider that unusual. The rating is for 500 cycles to 80%. It's a simplification, but that's a linear 1% decline for every 25 charge cycles. With that simplification, it's 250 cycles to 90%. That's certainly possible in 8 months if it's used. Also - there's a distribution of outcomes, so some batteries might decline faster and some slower for any number of reasons, including just randomness.

Dec 19, 2019 12:49 PM in response to reegan6

reegan6 wrote:
Alright thanks! Do u have any tips on keeping a good battery?

Not really. You can read up on all the things that cause batteries to lose capacity faster. In particular, overheating and allowing "deep discharge" (**below** the 0% floor). Apple specifically suggests taking a device out of a case while charging because it might trap heat. There are all these little things that affect battery longevity, but overall they have to be balanced between utility/convenience and that battery longevity.

If you really want a phone battery to last nearly forever, the way to do it would be to keep it hooked up to a power supply almost all the time such that the battery isn't used much. Some people use charging cases or have a cable leading to a USB power pack. My wife might have a cable leading to the USB battery pack in her purse. I've seen a few people who do this while they're putting off getting a new battery.

iPhone XS battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.