You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am having three major problems with Logic (10.3.2) that each render the software unusable. They only started after updating to Catalina. Please help!

1. (Most common problem) When I'm in Logic, the software will randomly freeze after I open the track editor. I'll be working in Logic and out of nowhere a huge white box just appears over the track editor and the program freezes indefinitely until I force quit the application (it says application not responding). This sometimes happens after 20 minutes in the project, sometimes only after 2.
  2. Often Logic will finish loading a project file, and then just not open the project. I have to force quit Logic and try again. Restarting my computer sometimes solves this but not always.
  3. Sometimes my project will open and audio won't play back. Pressing notes on my MIDI keyboard plays audio though.
  4. This one's not as important, but sometimes in Logic I just get a huge grey box over parts of my screen. It doesn't do anything except cover stuff, and it goes away after a few seconds.

Please help!!! These issues have made making music impossible for the past two weeks. I'm using Catalina on a 4.5 year old Macbook Pro (Version 10.5.2). I also have 8 GB of RAM and 17 GB of storage left if that means anything.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 6:00 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 24, 2019 11:27 PM in response to VortexMusic

Thats very little storage left to be honest, maybe this is your problem.

I am not sure why Logic 10.3.2 wouldnt operate fine on OS Catalina however, or any Logic Pro X version.

can you can make a copy of your 10.3.2 Logic and try it on a Catalina computer which has plenty storage left? Or free up some storage on the computer you have?

good luck

Dec 25, 2019 11:34 PM in response to Pancenter

Yes good point about the graphics Pancenter, though I would have thought the program should basically work without all those problems Vortexmusic is having.

The extra RAM is a good idea and having more storage for sure.

I dont have Catalina myself though, so I am not sure, I would also like to know if Logic 10.3.2 will function despite the graphics problems.

Dec 25, 2019 11:53 PM in response to kerochan

After reading the link below I reckon Pancenter could be right. Apologies Pancener, Seems like Catalina is no ordinary OS update, highly possible that Logic 10.3.2 will not function efficiently, and anyway there are numerous reports of even the latest Logic version not working properly.

https://cdm.link/2019/09/macos-catalina-will-be-incompatible-with-much-of-your-music-software-heres-what-to-know/

I am having three major problems with Logic (10.3.2) that each render the software unusable. They only started after updating to Catalina. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.