You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Application

Hi, after installing Catalina my photos app failed to open. Each attempt to 'verify' & 'update' failed. I have tried to 'repair' as well but without success. While speaking with an Apple agent, he got me to uninstall photos library and install a fresh one from my external hard drive. Voila! all photos returned and the app worked. Sadly, upon the next reboot photos app was again not working. Any help to recover my 'lost' photos will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 4:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 5:49 AM

Hello! Thanks for your reply. Your first solution appears to have done the trick. Somehow, after I had created a new Test library I was able to switch back to the original Photos Library. After a couple of restarts & a shut down, photos is still there and is up and running with all my photos. Many thanks. Kind regards

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2019 5:49 AM in response to Old Toad

Hello! Thanks for your reply. Your first solution appears to have done the trick. Somehow, after I had created a new Test library I was able to switch back to the original Photos Library. After a couple of restarts & a shut down, photos is still there and is up and running with all my photos. Many thanks. Kind regards

Dec 26, 2019 10:31 AM in response to goldenman456

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? (This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread)

Next log into another user account and see if the problem persists there in Photos. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

Photos Application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.