You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMovie updates on Old MacBook Pro

I have the old version Mac OS Serra on my MacBook Pro( 2013)

----With IMovie 8.0.6 (821)

*It won't take High Sierra, or any of the more recent systems because of "the age of the Mac Book Pro"

How do I update IMovie without changing Mac OS Sierra ??

** Can I even update it to any update later than IMovie 8.0.6 ?

- Thanks in advance fro any help in this. I am disabled, and can't afford a "New Laptop" ...... I'm just trying to upgrade IMovie without having to purchase a New Macbook Pro.

------- Thanks , James ****@ yahoo.com

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 2:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 3:23 AM

Have you owned your MacBook Pro from new? i.e. do you know it's history?

A late 2013 ( October) MacBook Pro would have shipped with iMovie ver 10. ( OSX Mavericks)

An early 2013 ( Feb) MBP would have shipped with iMovie ver 9 . ( OSX Mountain Lion)

In either of the above cases your version 8.0.6 could have been obtained from an iLife DVD, although it would be strange to put iMovie ver 8 on top of the later ver 9. Not too unusual though to put ver 9 on a Mac with ver 10.

If iMovie ver 8 came newly installed on your original Mac then it can't be a 2013 model.

Check the year model of your Mac by clicking the Apple sign ,top left, and selecting About This Mac.

The year model will determine if you can upgrade the OS or not.

Also check your Applications folder to see if you do have ver 9 or 10 of iMovie.

If you are able to upgrade the OS, just be aware, as Rich says, that you may not be able to use your iMovie ver 8 and also may not be able to obtain version 10 if you can't upgrade to Mojave, i.e. no iMovie so don't be too hasty.

Get back to us with more info' to see if we can offer any further advice.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2019 3:23 AM in response to Jmac2day

Have you owned your MacBook Pro from new? i.e. do you know it's history?

A late 2013 ( October) MacBook Pro would have shipped with iMovie ver 10. ( OSX Mavericks)

An early 2013 ( Feb) MBP would have shipped with iMovie ver 9 . ( OSX Mountain Lion)

In either of the above cases your version 8.0.6 could have been obtained from an iLife DVD, although it would be strange to put iMovie ver 8 on top of the later ver 9. Not too unusual though to put ver 9 on a Mac with ver 10.

If iMovie ver 8 came newly installed on your original Mac then it can't be a 2013 model.

Check the year model of your Mac by clicking the Apple sign ,top left, and selecting About This Mac.

The year model will determine if you can upgrade the OS or not.

Also check your Applications folder to see if you do have ver 9 or 10 of iMovie.

If you are able to upgrade the OS, just be aware, as Rich says, that you may not be able to use your iMovie ver 8 and also may not be able to obtain version 10 if you can't upgrade to Mojave, i.e. no iMovie so don't be too hasty.

Get back to us with more info' to see if we can offer any further advice.

Dec 30, 2019 6:04 PM in response to Jmac2day

You can upgrade to Mojave with a MacBook Pro mid 2012 or later. So that covers your MacBook Pro 2013. However, there is no path to upgrade from iMovie 8.0.6. It is a discontinued program, as is its successor, iMovie 9. If you upgrade to Mojave you might be able to download iMovie 10 fro the app store. Be aware that iMovie 8 will not run on Mojave, and probably not on High Sierra..

— Rich

IMovie updates on Old MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.