You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with Thunderbolt display and Magic Mouse

I purchased the 16" 2019 MacBook Pro and am having two issues with it.

1) When at home, I have my MBP connected to a Thunderbolt display (through the official Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter), and usually have the MBP closed when connected to the Thunderbolt display. I have the Thunderbolt display set to the scaled setting of 2048 x 1152 (the other options are default for display, or 2560 x 1440, or 1600 x 900, or 1280 x 720).

Sometimes, when waking the MBP from sleep, the display is scaled up a lot more (as in the UI and everything is a lot bigger and the text is fuzzy, not unusable, just unpleasant). Sometimes if I let the Mac go back to sleep and then wake it up again, it's fixed on it's own, sometimes not. When this happens, there is only one scaled display setting, and it doesn't fix it (neither does the "default for display setting"). The only thing that has for sure fixed it every time is unplugging the MBP from the adapter, and then plugging it back in. Once I do this, the display corrects itself (and the other "scaled" display settings come back).

Like I said, this issue doesn't make it unusable, just annoying that I don't know when it's going to happen, what's causing it, and have to unplug and plug back in when it happens. It also has me mildly worried that either whatever is causing this, or me unplugging and plugging back in several times a day, will cause something to wear out faster.

Anyone know what's wrong and what I can do about it?

2) My magic mouse (not the new one, the old one that you have to put batteries in) intermittently loses connection. Sometimes this happens often, sometimes not as much. A few seconds later and with me clicking, it comes back on. I've checked the battery and it's fine, and this almost never happened when using this mouse with my previous laptop, a 2014 MacBook Air.

Why would it be different with this new Mac? What could be causing this?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Rob

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 3:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 4:17 PM

The display problem:

1) first don't disconnect and connect while live.

2) zap the pram and that has a good chance of fixing the resolution changing problem.

SMC reset      https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Zap pram   https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Similar questions

4 replies

Issue with Thunderbolt display and Magic Mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.