You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth devices (MagicMouse2, MagicKeyboard, MagicTrackpad) keeps disconnecting briefly every 5-10s from iMac

Hi,

for several months now I have had this problem occurring more or less daily. Almost always it is happening to one of the devices, sometimes all of them. Like today, the MagicMouse is acting up, disconnecting - or rather lagging/stop working - for 2-3s every 5-10s. The pointer just stops, then resumes after about 2-3s. Then it works for 5-10s, and stopps again for 2-3s. This has been going on for several months. Some days though, there are no problems.

My layout is from left to right just in front of the iMac, magicTrackpad, keyboard and mouse. Today the mouse keeps disconnecting, but the trackpad works fine. I would rotate the placement (so from left to right; mouse, keyboard, trackpad) to see if the exact location has something to do with it, but it doesn't. The mouse keeps disconnecting and the trackpad keeps working fine even though I am changing the location on the keyboard with each other.

At a different day, it can be the keyboard that is acting up in a similar fashion. It is always "frozen" for only 2-3s, and it keeps repeating more or less every 5-10s. Sometimes it can be 10-20s. I can restart the machine or on/off the mouse/trackpad, and sometimes this makes it work normally. Sometimes the error does not go away.

Possible reasons

• My main suspicion is that this has something to do with wireless interference. I have a fairly strong Netgear Orbi router placed 2m away. Could this be the issue? Why doesn't all of the bluetooth devices show the same problem simultaneously, if so?
  • Other possible solutions?

Thanks =)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 8:28 AM

3 replies

Jan 1, 2020 5:21 AM in response to VikingOSX

Good suggestion, but I am sort of unable to do this as the WiFi Router can only be placed at the current location due to wall outlets (ethernet from modem etc.). What I can do instead is to wait for the problem to occur again (bluetooth disconnections) and then turn off the Router / all routers in the house. I will let you know how that goes.

In the mean while, other suggestions? Ppl with similar symptoms?

Jan 6, 2020 3:00 AM in response to VikingOSX

Ok, so after turning off the local WiFi-network and moving the affected device (lately, the mouse has been showing more problems than the trackpad) around, I see no improvement.

Turning the iMac off/on usually solves the problem.

Other suggestions? Im reluctant to think this is a hardware issue as the problem "migrates" to all the devices (trackpad, mouse, keyboard). Usually just one device at a time, and sometimes no device show problems. Very annoying... I doubt calling customer care (apple) will offer any help, or will it?

Bluetooth devices (MagicMouse2, MagicKeyboard, MagicTrackpad) keeps disconnecting briefly every 5-10s from iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.