You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trash won't empty

I am trying to empty my trash but it keeps saying "“id=7085865.17” can’t be opened right now because it’s being used by another task, such as moving or copying an item or emptying the Trash. Try again when the current task is complete." However I can delete the items individually, just annoying,

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 4:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 4:30 PM

ryannutt wrote:

I am trying to empty my trash but it keeps saying "“id=7085865.17” can’t be opened right now because it’s being used by another task, such as moving or copying an item or emptying the Trash. Try again when the current task is complete." However I can delete the items individually, just annoying,

can't empty trash! "being used by another task"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4592576

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2019 4:30 PM in response to ryannutt

ryannutt wrote:

can't empty trash! "being used by another task"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4592576

Dec 31, 2019 4:59 PM in response to ryannutt

Ryannutt Said:

trash won't empty: I am trying to empty my trash but it keeps saying "“id=7085865.17” can’t be opened right now because it’s being used by another task, such as moving or copying an item or emptying the Trash. Try again when the current task is complete." However I can delete the items individually, just annoying,

———-

Force Quit a Non-Responding App...

Why Risk a Lost File?... Restarting the Mac, all non saved, currently-opened files would be gone in an instant.

If the above reply of restarting and then emptying the trash doesn’t work, then maybe there’s some app running in the background that isn’t responding. So, Force Quit each App until you can empty the trash, should you not want mind to losing a file.

trash won't empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.