You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't "wake up"

Why isn't my iMac "waking up" from sleep mode. I'm having to hold the start button to force the iMac to shut down and then restart my iMac... what is going on? Two weeks ago I had Apple replace the disk drive with a new Flash (SSD) drive. It has worked great until yesterday when it wouldn't wake up and now today it wouldn't wake up either and I had to go through the forced shut-down and restart. I now have moved the energy saver to "display never turns off", but I don't like this as a long term solution. Any ideas?

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 6:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 9:40 AM

If you are using wireless devices to try and wake the iMac, then you may just need to go to: Apple > System Preferences > Bluetooth > select the Advanced... button and check Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer.

5 replies

Jan 1, 2020 9:30 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I completely agree with rkaufmann. I gave up on the Sleep function years ago. Ever since the inception of OS X there have been Sleep related issues. And even more lately. I just use Display Sleep and keep it set for 15 minutes so I'm not burning the screen. That way your Mac uses very little power over Sleep and is ready to use at the touch of a key without any grogginess. UNIX based systems were made to be always on and they’ve been running busy servers 24/7 for decades.

iMac won't "wake up"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.