You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2013 iMac Won’t Shut off

My iMac won’t shut down at all. I press the shut down button, it goes through the normal procedure, and then it just remains on a black screen with the mouse still active. I can move the mouse around, but it shows literally nothing else. No amount of waiting will get it to finally power down. The only way I’ve found is to hard boot it by holding the power button. I would prefer not to do this forever so any ideas?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 10:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 10:34 AM

The first thing that I would try is resetting the SMC,

as per > How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

8 replies

Jan 2, 2020 10:25 AM in response to REODefSTYX

Likely a holdover 3rd party kext or app...

˜What all 3rd party extensions are you running?

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck.

Jan 3, 2020 12:44 PM in response to REODefSTYX

Great, thanks....

Uninstall CleanMyMac per their directions.

This is a big problem...

Virtual Memory Information:

Physical RAM: 8 GB

Free RAM: 16 MB

It's not showing what is using that.

Open Activity Monitor, Show:>sort on CPU%, see if anything using too much CPU%, click on Memory tab see what is using most Memory.

Jan 18, 2020 6:43 PM in response to BDAqua

Hey, sorry I didn't reply sooner. I checked into the RAM and CPU usage. It looked fine when I check it now, however, when I did that EtreCheck I think there was quite a few tabs open by Chrome which always eats through RAM. HealthMonitor for some reason taking up about 1 GB of RAM. I've never used it before. Does it come with Mac or did something else install it? In terms of third party extensions I have refrained from using any thing that seems even remotely suspicions. There is one app though. I wanted to capture some audio from my Mac and quickly found out that I needed a third party app to do that. So I downloaded iShowU. I've check multiple times before and after installation and it seems to be reputable and heavily downloaded. Though recently things seemed to have gone wrong with it. One day, it just wouldn't capture any audio at all. So I tried to uninstall it through their built in application. It went through that procedure fine, but it still displayed as an audio device. Then I tried reinstalling it. Now the installer is about 4/5 of the way through the instillation and won't close. I am very aware that going through with that last step was probably a mistake. So now I have a different request from this community. What should I do about that as well. And also, I have a flash drive with my original boot up system available. If it comes to it, I will just reinstall everything from that. That is if there is nothing else to do, because I have lots of video files and projects on here that I would prefer not to get rid of. So, I am terribly sorry that you have to read this essay I put together, but if the easiest thing to do is just to reset the entire system and start over, then I'll do it. If there is a way to keep my video files and projects on this Mac without a flash drive then that would also be great. Thanks and sorry for the 72 questions I have.

Late 2013 iMac Won’t Shut off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.