You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unusual Square icon in Sent mail

I am using Catalina Version 10.15.2 on an iMac (Late 2012).

I recently reset two mail accounts which had been receiving mail without an issue. Upgrades from Bluehost caused server info to change, so we had to fix that. I am now able to send and receive mail but there are no longer visible saved emails in the sent boxes. While emails appear to have been sent I cannot find the email in my sent mail and there is a square icon I have never seen next to any mailbox. (See attached screen cap.)

Test emails show the mail was actually sent, but I can not access or see the sent mail.

This behavior is unique to two mailboxes reset by host company - all other mailboxes perform as expected.

Please help! Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 2:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 3:49 PM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

7 replies

Jan 7, 2020 9:07 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi , on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 . OS Catania 10.15.2 (19C57) I experienced the same issue in Mail since today. Strange black square icons in Draft Sent and Bin. But only with 1 of all my email accounts. The other accounts have no issues.

BDAqua wrote:

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Thanks for the suggestion BDAqua. I tried the safe boot but with no result, the squares are still there.

When I select the squares in the Draft ,Sent or Bin box of this emailaccount there is no content. Above in the middle of the screen it states: emailaccountname (Read only), whereas the email account that doesn't have this problem states: Sent - emailaccountname (828 )messages.

Perhaps this additional informations helps.

Are there any other possibilities to solve this?

Thanks! Kind regards Yvo

Jan 7, 2020 11:19 AM in response to BDAqua

I am Dutch and live in the Netherlands, so my SMTP mail server is hosted by a Dutch company called XS $ ALL. You are probably not Dutch, so I think you will not know them. My incoming mail server is hosted by a small company here in the Netherlands, where my websites are also hosted.

When I right click on the box and get Get Account Information, I get exactly the same information as in the other email accounts that work well.

Question: Would this problem be solved if I delete and reinstall the erroneous account after restarting my Mac? Or will I lose all sent emails then?

Unusual Square icon in Sent mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.