You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos

I recently bought more iCloud storage so I can upload all my photos to iCloud Photos. iCloud Photos on my iphone is turned on so all my photos on my iphone are now on iCloud. I have old photos in the Photos app of my MacBook Air and some of these old photos are also on my iphone. If I turn on iCloud Photos on my MacBook Air now:

1) will it erase all the photos I already have on iCloud Photos or will it upload all the photos on my Macbook Air to the existing photos that are on iCloud Photos.

2) is there a way to only upload photos on my MacBook Air that are not on my iphone to iCloud Photos so I don't have any duplicates.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 4:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 7:40 PM

Good afternoon alfie9000,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you have increased the amount of iCloud storage that you have to accommodate all of the photos on your iPhone and on your MacBook Air. If you enable iCloud Photos on your Mac, any photos or videos that are on your Mac that are not already in iCloud will be uploaded so that the photo library will be identical on both devices. No photos will be erased from your iPhone, and no duplicates should upload.

The resource below explains how iCloud Photos works to sync all of your devices. Please read it carefully so that you have a good understanding of how additions, deletions, and edits will affect your photos on all of your devices. Remember that you can choose the Optimize option on your iPhone or Mac to free up space on the device by keeping the high resolution versions in iCloud.

iCloud is a syncing service, not a photo archive system. Make sure you back up your MacBook Air regularly with Time Machine. You can also export albums and other media to an external drive to have another copy of them.

Set up and use iCloud Photos

Export photos, videos, and slideshows from Photos on Mac

Happy New Year!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2020 7:40 PM in response to alfie9000

Good afternoon alfie9000,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you have increased the amount of iCloud storage that you have to accommodate all of the photos on your iPhone and on your MacBook Air. If you enable iCloud Photos on your Mac, any photos or videos that are on your Mac that are not already in iCloud will be uploaded so that the photo library will be identical on both devices. No photos will be erased from your iPhone, and no duplicates should upload.

The resource below explains how iCloud Photos works to sync all of your devices. Please read it carefully so that you have a good understanding of how additions, deletions, and edits will affect your photos on all of your devices. Remember that you can choose the Optimize option on your iPhone or Mac to free up space on the device by keeping the high resolution versions in iCloud.

iCloud is a syncing service, not a photo archive system. Make sure you back up your MacBook Air regularly with Time Machine. You can also export albums and other media to an external drive to have another copy of them.

Set up and use iCloud Photos

Export photos, videos, and slideshows from Photos on Mac

Happy New Year!

Jan 14, 2020 2:11 PM in response to alfie9000

I have a similar problem with multiple libraries and iCloud photo storage... I wonder what the efficient answer is and what the answer to your questions are.

In the meantime. I have installed on my mac air (mojave) a program called "Duplicate file finder".

So far I have found it to be very useful. With it I have been able to delete a lot of duplicate files. With photos it has a nice added feature that compares similar photos so that you can choose between a blurry version and one that isn't and other similarities.

iCloud Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.