You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer will not shutdown with software! Only manual power button1

Does anyone know what cause my 2017 iMac desktop software shutdown to not complete? Shuts down software than stops short of turning off power. Have to do it manually! Can't figure it out. Turns on fine. Never had problem till I upgraded to Catalina.

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 11:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 11:43 AM

Most likely, there is a process that is "refusing" to stop when you attempt to shut-down your Mac. This can typically be attributed to poorly written apps or device drivers.

I suggest that you boot up your Mac in Safe Mode, and then, try shutting it down. Does is shut-down properly from this mode?

Ref: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2020 11:43 AM in response to CiberTiger

Most likely, there is a process that is "refusing" to stop when you attempt to shut-down your Mac. This can typically be attributed to poorly written apps or device drivers.

I suggest that you boot up your Mac in Safe Mode, and then, try shutting it down. Does is shut-down properly from this mode?

Ref: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Jan 4, 2020 12:10 PM in response to CiberTiger

As Tesserax says, but we might find it with an etrecheck report...

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck.

Jan 5, 2020 7:02 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you. That is what I thought but didn't know how to find what was hanging it up or fix it. I did contact apple and they said to reset the SCM by shutting it down till it hung up then hitting power button. Unplug for 20 seconds then replug in and turn on. Will see. If that doesn't solve it. Will follow your suggestion. Will let you know how it goes. Appreciate you taking the time to answer. Have a great night!! Cheerz, Gail

Jan 5, 2020 7:05 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you BD for taking the time to help me. I downloaded the app from apple store. I have one other thing to try but if that doesn't work by resetting SCM. I will do this step and if that doesn't work. I will try previous suggestion and if all else fails. I still have my apple support. Hope it doesn't get to that. Man, I appreciate this community. Very, kind of you both to answer and help me. Will get back to you on what happens. Have a great night. Cheerz, Gail

Jan 8, 2020 6:08 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you BD for your help. My Mac seems to be ok now. I used the malware bytes to scan and found an Adware.Ironcore on it that when isolated and deleted plus SCM reset solved my problem so far. I did download the etrecheck and will use it if it comes back and let you know. I didn't totally understand how to use after scan. But since all seems to be well. I will just hang on to it if needed. Appreciate your time and efforts. Have great night. Best, Gail

Jan 8, 2020 6:11 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you Tesserax for your help. Problem seems to be resolved with my malware bytes and SCM reset so far. MB found Adware.IronCore on it that was isolated and I deleted. Then did the reset. Now, shuts down and restarts with no glitches. Really appreciate your time and care. Have a great night. Will save your response if ever needed. Thank you! Best, Gail

My computer will not shutdown with software! Only manual power button1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.