You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard irratic behavior

I have a mid 2014 13" Macbook pro, I did buy it second hand a few weeks ago.

When I type on the keyboard, a few letters will type, and then the cursor backs up, or highlights the entire word or sentence I have typed. If i type carefully, and hit the right arrow after each letter, I can type a sentence. But that is time consuming as you could imagine. Other times I type, seems to refresh on certain key, like hitting F5. Most of the time it jumps around, and backs up on any keys that I type on.

I erased the HDD, and reinstalled iOS now I am running Catalina. Problem was there prior, and still exists. I currently have an external Keyboard and it types normal using it.

Since I have a fresh install, I don't think its software, I assume its hardware.

Anyone have this type of issue before?

MacBook

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 7:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 8:11 PM

Try an SMC reset, which controls hardware, if the keyboard will let you: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

If that does not work, take it in to GeniusBar for evaluation. If it is a bad keyboard, they have the parts and the expertise.

Good luck.

Similar questions

3 replies

Keyboard irratic behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.