You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I AM TRYING TO RESTART MY MAC ITS ASKING FOR NAME AND PASSWORD, I DONT KNOW WHAT NAME OR PASSWORD IT WANTS?

trying to update macOS, but is asking for name and password i don't know which one it is>

iMac 27", OS X 10.10

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 5:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 6:14 PM

It's asking for that Mac's Administrator name and password.

• If you are the only user of that Mac then you are its Administrator.
  • If you are that Mac's Administrator and do not recall your credentials, then please read Reset your Mac login password - Apple Support.
    • You need an Apple ID to log in to this website just to ask that question, so try that Apple ID.
  • If you are not the only user of that Mac, then ask its other users for help because one of them must be its designated Administrator.
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 5, 2020 6:14 PM in response to janiecmsmsm

It's asking for that Mac's Administrator name and password.

• If you are the only user of that Mac then you are its Administrator.
  • If you are that Mac's Administrator and do not recall your credentials, then please read Reset your Mac login password - Apple Support.
    • You need an Apple ID to log in to this website just to ask that question, so try that Apple ID.
  • If you are not the only user of that Mac, then ask its other users for help because one of them must be its designated Administrator.

I AM TRYING TO RESTART MY MAC ITS ASKING FOR NAME AND PASSWORD, I DONT KNOW WHAT NAME OR PASSWORD IT WANTS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.