You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet cable stops working after Wifi is used

I recently upgrade my MacBook Pro 2018 to macOS Catalina and discovered a really odd problem.

I normally connect to the internet via an ethernet cable. When I turn on my Wifi, my Wifi will connect correctly. However when I turn off my Wifi, the ethernet adapter will no longer correctly connect to the internet. Instead the ethernet adapter states it has a self-assigned IP and is unable to connect to the internet. Restarting my machine will not fix it.

The only fix I have found so far is to turn off Wifi first and then power down my computer completely. Once I power my computer back up, the ethernet adapter works correctly.

How can I fix this so I can toggle Wifi being on and off and still use my ethernet adapter without shutting down my machine?

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 9:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 9:17 AM

Did you Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Similar questions

3 replies

Ethernet cable stops working after Wifi is used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.