You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I speed up my slow mid 2010 iMac

Hi, I faced some speed issues with iMac mid 2010. How could I speed this up? its very slow to open up and even using MS Office package.

I am currently running macOS Sierra. The details of the computer are: iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3 (1 processor), 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, and ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB.

Need urgent advice on what to do!

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 1:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 2:25 AM

Your iMac is 3 years older than mine:

Bring up your About this mac, and click on Storage. This will show you how much of your storage you have used. Then click on Manage. This will produce a seperate window like this:

Go through each of the items in the left column to see what you can reasonably offload. One especially good idea is to set your trash to automatically empty after a given period of time; usually 30 days. You can do this by opening Finder and clicking on Finder in the tool bar, then Preferences, then Advanced:

Also, go through the items in the Manage window to get rid of any unwanted stuff, but to use the iCloud where necessary to save important stuff. You are allowed 5gb of space on there for free.

Finally, be sure not to keep any apps on the screen. They can often be still running in the background when you are least aware.

Hope that helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 7, 2020 2:25 AM in response to nilmini128

Your iMac is 3 years older than mine:

Bring up your About this mac, and click on Storage. This will show you how much of your storage you have used. Then click on Manage. This will produce a seperate window like this:

Go through each of the items in the left column to see what you can reasonably offload. One especially good idea is to set your trash to automatically empty after a given period of time; usually 30 days. You can do this by opening Finder and clicking on Finder in the tool bar, then Preferences, then Advanced:

Also, go through the items in the Manage window to get rid of any unwanted stuff, but to use the iCloud where necessary to save important stuff. You are allowed 5gb of space on there for free.

Finally, be sure not to keep any apps on the screen. They can often be still running in the background when you are least aware.

Hope that helps.

How can I speed up my slow mid 2010 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.