You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My time machine, a manual backup drive to my MacPro will not backup after my system upgrade to Catalina -- any suggestions please?

My time machine, a manual backup drive to my MacPro will not backup after my system upgrade to Catalina -- any suggestions please? I alternate between 2 backups drives and neither will work -- so I don't believe the drive is the issue.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 3:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 6:19 PM

Many thanks A13_usr

I am not sure how, but after a couple of failed attempts and a days rest (including another restart) it seemed to work on one Time Machine. I have not trued the other as yet. Thanks again for your time.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 9, 2020 5:59 PM in response to OnTheBay

Good afternoon OnTheBay,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are not able to back up your computer using Time Machine after updating to macOS Catalina. How are the external drives formatted? Are you seeing any error messages? I would suggest starting with a new, fresh Time Machine backup on a new external drive formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled. Let this run automatically by itself for a week or so, and then attempt alternating between two drives if you wish.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Take care.

My time machine, a manual backup drive to my MacPro will not backup after my system upgrade to Catalina -- any suggestions please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.