You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! How do I clear my Apple Music and start fresh?

First, I don't have my iCloud syncing music from my Mac to my iPhone. I don't know if that's relevant or if I should do that or not.

Second, I moved all of my old .mp3's to an external hard drive and want to always play music from that from now on (when using my Mac).

Third, inside of my iTunes (Apple Music), there is a ton of artists listed that have exclamation points that I want to get rid of. Somewhere along the way, I must've lost those .mp3's. It's very annoying to have the missing files mixed with the files that I have located on my external drive.

Essentially, I want to restart fresh so that the only artists shown in my iTunes (Apple Music) are the ones that are actually on my external hard drive where my .mp3's are located.

Anyone know how to do this? Also, after this is finished, should I sync my iTunes (Apple Music) to my iPhone or would that not make sense since all the files are on my external drive and it wouldn't be able to play them anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 5:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 12:37 PM

As long as you don't mind losing ratings, playlists, play counts, date added, etc. and have a backup so you can be sure that even if you accidentally allowed your local files to be deleted you could restore them.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies

Help! How do I clear my Apple Music and start fresh?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.