You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the same SIM card from my iPhone 6 for an iPhone 11?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 7:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 7:38 AM

Both use nano-SIM, so yes. The SIM cards are compatible.

Whether the SIM swap will work? That depends on whether one or both of the phones are carrier-locked, and possibly on some other details.

iPhone 11 also provides an eSIM.

Most cellular providers can transfer a telephone number to a new purchase without a SIM swap. The Apple contents-data-transfer provides this path; contents and number are swapped, without a physical SIM swap.

And some cellular vendors do charge for moving a telephone number to a new phone.

Tech Specs:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP705

iPhone 11 - Technical Specifications - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 9, 2020 7:38 AM in response to aimee wighto

Both use nano-SIM, so yes. The SIM cards are compatible.

Whether the SIM swap will work? That depends on whether one or both of the phones are carrier-locked, and possibly on some other details.

iPhone 11 also provides an eSIM.

Most cellular providers can transfer a telephone number to a new purchase without a SIM swap. The Apple contents-data-transfer provides this path; contents and number are swapped, without a physical SIM swap.

And some cellular vendors do charge for moving a telephone number to a new phone.

Tech Specs:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP705

iPhone 11 - Technical Specifications - Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.