You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming soud quality

When streaming music (from the Music App) to an external speaker, the sound quality is very poor. Almost no bass. The music sounds very "thin". Any idea what the problem might be?

PowerBook

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 9:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 2:49 PM

Streaming from an iPhone next to the router produced the same results - no improvement. I finally discovered an "Audio" button on my Pioneer amp remote. After changing settings, the quality improved significantly. So I think this is the best I can expect. Thanks for all the tips.

All that is left now for me is to figure out the horrible Apple Music App. In iTunes I used to be able to export a song from Logic into iTunes and play back via Apple TV on my external speaker system. Now when I do the same with the Music app, the song doesn't even show up on Apple TV even though I can see it in my library and I can stream it from there. Go figure. Apple has made this stuff so complicated that it is very hard to use and it may not function in the same way it did on iTunes.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 10, 2020 2:49 PM in response to Tesserax

Streaming from an iPhone next to the router produced the same results - no improvement. I finally discovered an "Audio" button on my Pioneer amp remote. After changing settings, the quality improved significantly. So I think this is the best I can expect. Thanks for all the tips.

All that is left now for me is to figure out the horrible Apple Music App. In iTunes I used to be able to export a song from Logic into iTunes and play back via Apple TV on my external speaker system. Now when I do the same with the Music app, the song doesn't even show up on Apple TV even though I can see it in my library and I can stream it from there. Go figure. Apple has made this stuff so complicated that it is very hard to use and it may not function in the same way it did on iTunes.

Jan 9, 2020 7:59 PM in response to dialabrain

Before I try that, here is some more info. The sound is perfectly normal on speakers directly connected (via audio interface) to my Mac. The problem is only when I stream to external speakers. Does NVRAM control streaming sound in any way? If it does wouldn’t I have the same problem with directly connected speakers? Or does NVRAM have a component that only controls sound over WiFi?

Jan 10, 2020 8:15 AM in response to Michael Weiss5

Michael Weiss5 wrote:

Streaming via AirPlay. No idea if my B&W speakers are AirPlay enabled. How does one do that?

I suggest taking a look at your amp's user manual to verify AirPlay support. Most newer systems today do.

The Mac is in a different room, about 20 ft away from the router and the speakers in an adjacent room. Late 2016 PowerBook, running Catalina

Your notebook (I assume you meant to say MacBook or MacBook Pro and not PowerBook ... correct?) will first stream to your wireless router, and then, that stream will travel to the amp via the same router. In your next reply I see that the amp is connected by Ethernet .... a bit unusual, but not an issue.

Regardless, if the first wireless path the stream needs to travel through walls, ceilings, floors, etc; this could affect the signal quality, and thus, the stream's fidelity. I suggest trying to stream with your notebook near the wireless router that the amp is connected to, to see if there is any improvement. Please post back your results.

Jan 10, 2020 8:46 PM in response to Michael Weiss5

Michael Weiss5 wrote:

You just provided us with a whole new issue. I suggest that you start a new post as this one appears to be solved. Thanks!

Streaming soud quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.