You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't load disk utilities.

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro 2013 (the one with the CD drive in it still). It will not load past the log in screen. I have tried to load the disk utilities to reinstall the OS or even erase the drive and start from scratch but it just keeps spinning on Examining Volumes and won't go any further, I've waited a few hours.

I've tried to reset the NVRAM and it didn't seem to make a difference. Am I SOL?

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 4:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 4:33 PM

How long do you wait for it to finish examining volumes? If it’s doing a complete fsck it can take quite a while. Give it at least an hour. If that fails you may have a bad drive. Can you load from the installation media?

I missed the age of your computer. You should be able to boot to diagnostic mode. Shut it down, then start it and as soon as the chime sounds hold the CMD+R keys until the Apple logo appears.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 11, 2020 4:33 PM in response to heather09

How long do you wait for it to finish examining volumes? If it’s doing a complete fsck it can take quite a while. Give it at least an hour. If that fails you may have a bad drive. Can you load from the installation media?

I missed the age of your computer. You should be able to boot to diagnostic mode. Shut it down, then start it and as soon as the chime sounds hold the CMD+R keys until the Apple logo appears.

MacBook Pro won't load disk utilities.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.