You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finding serial number when a MacBook Pro was wiped out in preparation for selling?

I wiped out my computer before taking note of its serial number. How do i get to the serial number? I'm not IT savvy and would need step by step instructions. Your help would be most appreciated.

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 1:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 2:38 PM

KarlDoren Said:

"Finding serial number when a MacBook Pro was wiped out in preparation for selling? : I wiped out my computer before taking note of its serial number. How do i get to the serial number? I'm not IT savvy and would need step by step instructions. Your help would be most appreciated."

-------

Always Verify -- Use Terminal, while in Recovery Mode:

Get a Macs Serial Number from the Command Line - OSXDaily

You can always look underneath the computer. But, to verify you are reading it correctly, use Terminal, while booted into Recovery Mode The cover could always be changed too; you never know.

So...

1. Boot into Recovery Mode
  2. Go to: Utilities Menu
  3. Select: Terminal
  4. Type: this Command, then press enter:
ioreg -l | grep IOPlatformSerialNumber

The Retuin Output would be something like:

"IOPlatformSerialNumber" = "1234567890abc"

So your Serial Number, would therefore be: 1234567890abc

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 12, 2020 2:38 PM in response to KarlDoren

KarlDoren Said:

"Finding serial number when a MacBook Pro was wiped out in preparation for selling? : I wiped out my computer before taking note of its serial number. How do i get to the serial number? I'm not IT savvy and would need step by step instructions. Your help would be most appreciated."

-------

Always Verify -- Use Terminal, while in Recovery Mode:

Get a Macs Serial Number from the Command Line - OSXDaily

You can always look underneath the computer. But, to verify you are reading it correctly, use Terminal, while booted into Recovery Mode The cover could always be changed too; you never know.

So...

1. Boot into Recovery Mode
  2. Go to: Utilities Menu
  3. Select: Terminal
  4. Type: this Command, then press enter:
ioreg -l | grep IOPlatformSerialNumber

The Retuin Output would be something like:

"IOPlatformSerialNumber" = "1234567890abc"

So your Serial Number, would therefore be: 1234567890abc

Finding serial number when a MacBook Pro was wiped out in preparation for selling?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.