You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Giving daughter use of my MBP can I use separate Users, iCloud accounts, etc?

Hi All,

Bought new 16" MBP and "gifting" daughter my late 2013 15" (came with Mavericks) to her for use.

Was going to just add her as an admin account so there would be two admins accounts password protected with hopefully 2 separate iCloud accounts. Keeping each users data private from the other user. By my user account still there I was hoping it would keep software intact for both users.

I had wanted to follow Apples instructions on prepping laptop for sale or new owner but that looks like she would loose ability to have Pages and other useful titles that came with machine.

Other wise how would she get the OS and iWork suite to use?

She owns iPad and iPhone, but not sure how Apple handles their free software that comes with buying new MBP?

Thank you

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 10:39 AM

For the free Apple apps, she can just download them from the App Store under her Apple ID. They are free. And once she has her own Apple ID she can access the store and download them directly.

When you restore the Mac it will install whatever version of macOS was installed when it shipped from factory, and will not be tied to any Apple ID. She can just log in to her Aplpe ID, and update the Os version to the current one if she wants to.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 14, 2020 10:39 AM in response to chevysales

For the free Apple apps, she can just download them from the App Store under her Apple ID. They are free. And once she has her own Apple ID she can access the store and download them directly.

When you restore the Mac it will install whatever version of macOS was installed when it shipped from factory, and will not be tied to any Apple ID. She can just log in to her Aplpe ID, and update the Os version to the current one if she wants to.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Jan 14, 2020 12:37 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124

Thank you so much.

I had wanted to just wipe HD and let her setup just as someone who opened a MBP up for first time.

That experience is addictive :) and I still had boxes in the plastic bags APPLE used that were like little backpacks.

This machine will be great for her and she's asked for so long.

The thought of her logging in and still seeing my account was something neither of us wanted so thanks again for clearing up the software/macOS question I had.

Again many thanks

And many thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

Giving daughter use of my MBP can I use separate Users, iCloud accounts, etc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.