You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 16" loud fan noises

Hello,

I recently got a macbook 16" i9 base model and realized there is fan noises issues when connecting to my external LG display. The machine works great and fan noise is low when is by itself. But when I connect it to the external monitor, the fan ramps up quickly even though I am doing the same tasks (browsing web, watch videos, write code, etc.) in both situations.

I tested the performance in both situations with iStat Menu and realized the big difference is graphics. In standalone mode, the built-in Intel UHD Graphics 630 is used; while connecting to external display, the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M is utilized and it instantly generate huge amount of heat for the same tasks and require the fan run at a high speed to cool it down. The fan noise is unreasonable and annoying for such as powerful machine.

What is causing the bad graphic card performance? Is there any solution to fix it? Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 7:51 PM

1 reply

Jan 17, 2020 3:06 PM in response to binjie

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, binjie.

If I understand your post correctly, when you have an external monitor connected the fan on your MacBook is very loud. I’d like to help.

Follow the steps in this article:

If the fans in your Mac run at full speed when you turn it on

Let us know if that resolves this issue for you. 

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

macbook pro 16" loud fan noises

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.