You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble creating bootable partion on external drive

I use the createinstallmedia command copied from Apple's support page. It give the response (my volume) "is not a valid volume mount point." I've verified that the command is entered correctly and that the volume name (a partition on an external HD) is correct as well.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Mac OS Installer

Password:

/Volumes/Mac is not a valid volume mount point.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks,

John

iMac, OS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 3:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 5:46 PM

You are not escaping the spaces. Spaces in the shell are interpreted as the end of the command or argument separator.

It would be /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ Installer

However, it will rename the volume regardless what you name it, so just rename it MyVolume like in the command. Then, you can just copy/paste the command.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 15, 2020 5:46 PM in response to John Stenmark

You are not escaping the spaces. Spaces in the shell are interpreted as the end of the command or argument separator.

It would be /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ Installer

However, it will rename the volume regardless what you name it, so just rename it MyVolume like in the command. Then, you can just copy/paste the command.

Jan 15, 2020 7:26 PM in response to John Stenmark

Another option to escaping the spaces is to put the path in double quotes like this:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume "/Volumes/Mac OS Installer"

You can also just drag & drop the volume from the Finder onto the Terminal window so it auto-fills the correct path for you.

Trouble creating bootable partion on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.