You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't find a USB port on my new Mac to connect my apple mouse

just got Mac yesterday, don't see a usb port

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 1:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 8:42 PM

shemcray2 Said:

I can't find a USB port on my new Mac to connect my apple mouse: just got Mac yesterday, don't see a usb port

———-

Mobility:

Laptops are getting slimmer, so, the poets are as well. That is why USB A ports are non existent on it.

So...

Use this Adapter: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

With this Adapter: You can connect Printer using the USB-A port and use the HDMI port for an A/V device.

With the USB-C adapter in it, you will still charge your Mac using the USB-C port. So, you lose no ports: a USB-C type is still there, and two more are added: USB-C and HDMI.

I use it and it works excellently and as intended.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 16, 2020 8:42 PM in response to shemcray2

shemcray2 Said:

I can't find a USB port on my new Mac to connect my apple mouse: just got Mac yesterday, don't see a usb port

———-

Mobility:

Laptops are getting slimmer, so, the poets are as well. That is why USB A ports are non existent on it.

So...

Use this Adapter: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

With this Adapter: You can connect Printer using the USB-A port and use the HDMI port for an A/V device.

With the USB-C adapter in it, you will still charge your Mac using the USB-C port. So, you lose no ports: a USB-C type is still there, and two more are added: USB-C and HDMI.

I use it and it works excellently and as intended.

Jan 16, 2020 7:50 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

The new MacBook Pro only has lightning ports no USB-Apparently the genius did not know that when I purchased it and the store is 30 miles away and now we have a blizzard and I spent two hours on the phone with Apple – I’ve never been so upset with Apple I am all Apple all the time and what do you know they transferred me to the manager of the store – except he wasn’t available

Jan 16, 2020 8:19 PM in response to shemcray2

The MacBook Pro 16” 2019 has USB-C ports, which can be used with both USB connections for various devices, as well as with Thunderbolt (PCIe) connections.

The USB-C port requires a dock or a dongle to get to USB-A ports, or other sorts of I/O connections. Apple decided we’ll all be using USB-C for everything, so that's the way hese are built. Which means docks, dongles, or replacing existing devices with USB-C devices.

If you have one of the Apple mice with the Lightning charging connection, Apple has available a USB-C to Lightning cable.

USB-C is effectively a connector spec, and different protocols can operate vis the connector, depending (confusingly) on what the host port hardware and the chosen cable can provide. Not all USB-C host ports on all computers will support Thunderbolt, for instance.

There are also USB-C cables that can provide power, but not communications. The label-maker came out of the drawer about ten minutes after learning this, and labeled those charge-only cables.

Jan 16, 2020 9:19 PM in response to shemcray2

shemcray2 wrote:
The new MacBook Pro only has lightning ports no USB-Apparently the genius did not know that when I purchased it and the store is 30 miles away and now we have a blizzard and I spent two hours on the phone with Apple – I’ve never been so upset with Apple I am all Apple all the time and what do you know they transferred me to the manager of the store – except he wasn’t available

That's not Lightning. That's Thunderbolt 3/USB-C. It's a little bit complicated, but you can get a hub, a dock, or perhaps just a single adapter. I think you'll find that if you insert a Lightning connector in there it's going to shake around a little bit.

There are lots of options, but the most basic would be a simple USB-C (male) to USB-A (female) adapter. When my wife got her 2019 MBA she asked me what to do and I ended up buying one of those adapters (came as a set with a 6 ft Lightning cable) on short notice because she absolutely had to use a wireless mouse right away.

I have a variety of these from Just Wireless, Aukey, and Daiso. This is the Daiso version, although one can buy single ones ($1.50 in the US) at their stores. I have one and it works pretty well and is cheaper than any other adapter I've seen.

https://www.daisojapan.com/p-40640-usb-to-type-c-adapter-3-assort-04-x-1-in-10pks.aspx

I can't find a USB port on my new Mac to connect my apple mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.