You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete my photos from iPhone and save space without deleting it from iCloud...?!

My iPhone has run out of space And is deleting all the apps and uninstalling everything. I can’t free up anymore space with deleting messages etc but I can’t free up the crazy amount of space taken by all my a old videos and photos because when I delete the 16,000 photos/videos from my iPhone it will permanently delete them from my iCloud and all devices. This just doesn’t make any sense to me as I thought the point of iCloud is to backup and free space up on your mobile devices. Can anyone help me as this has been going on for 6 months now with me deleting every tiny thing I can every week so I can use my phone at all.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 5:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 7:49 PM

I thought the point of iCloud is to backup and free space up on your mobile devices. Can anyone help me as this has been going on for 6 months now with me deleting every tiny thing I can every week so I can use my phone at all.

The main feature of iCloud is to sync content between devices for easy access from any device.

Using photo optimization, you can free up space on your device, but that has a limit. The reality is, your phone has a finite amount of space and once you have reached that, you may have to "move" content off your phone to another location.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2020 7:49 PM in response to Jdnelson95

I thought the point of iCloud is to backup and free space up on your mobile devices. Can anyone help me as this has been going on for 6 months now with me deleting every tiny thing I can every week so I can use my phone at all.

The main feature of iCloud is to sync content between devices for easy access from any device.

Using photo optimization, you can free up space on your device, but that has a limit. The reality is, your phone has a finite amount of space and once you have reached that, you may have to "move" content off your phone to another location.

How to delete my photos from iPhone and save space without deleting it from iCloud...?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.