You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create a searchable box in Apple numbers

I’m using Apple numbers and I would like to know how to do something. I have a list of 200 names on a spreadsheet. I would like to create a cell in which if I begin to type a person’s name, or a combination of a name on the list, it would automatically narrow that list to the names that apply to what I typed. Does anyone know how to do this or know what it’s called?

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 5:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 1:26 AM

In some variations its called auto complete.

Numbers has an included version that works automatically, but requires the list of items to be in the same column of the same table.

The feature is turned on and off with a preference setting in Numbers Preferences:

First checkbox in the Editing section.

Note that this is a global setting which applies to ALL Numbers documents if it is turned on.

The feature automatically builds a list of all entries made in a column, and shows a list of all items matching what you have typed so far in a new cell in that column. You can click an item in the list at any time to immediately enter it in the current cell.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2020 1:26 AM in response to 1life1love1king

In some variations its called auto complete.

Numbers has an included version that works automatically, but requires the list of items to be in the same column of the same table.

The feature is turned on and off with a preference setting in Numbers Preferences:

First checkbox in the Editing section.

Note that this is a global setting which applies to ALL Numbers documents if it is turned on.

The feature automatically builds a list of all entries made in a column, and shows a list of all items matching what you have typed so far in a new cell in that column. You can click an item in the list at any time to immediately enter it in the current cell.

Regards,

Barry

Create a searchable box in Apple numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.