You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

all junk mail is going into my mailbox

Today I noticed that Junk mail that is usually in my junk folder is now showing up in my inbox and I get a lot of junk mail. I checked the mail preferences and my junk filters is set to move junk mail to junk folder. I don't know why it started doing this but the usual junk mail crap is going into my inbox which makes it more likely to accidentally click on a bad email. Would like to remedy this before it gets out of hand. I wish I would never get any of this junk mail crap but that is probably impossible.

My hotmail and my mail on the mac are linked together but I use Mail 99% of the time.

Any suggestion?

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 10:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 10:48 AM

If they are mostly from (say) Hotmail then sign into your hotmail account in Safari and check Rules and Junk mail settings there.

Ditto Gmail

If Mac Mail makes them junk they are usually brown.

Ensure Mail preferences for the account are set to trust mail headers

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2020 10:48 AM in response to mmbak

If they are mostly from (say) Hotmail then sign into your hotmail account in Safari and check Rules and Junk mail settings there.

Ditto Gmail

If Mac Mail makes them junk they are usually brown.

Ensure Mail preferences for the account are set to trust mail headers

Jan 19, 2020 8:12 PM in response to LD150

This happened while using Mail app on the Mac. Yes when they are in the junk folder they are brown. But today 99% of the junk mail is going to my inbox. I block them as they come in and they still come back. Too many.

When you say Mail Preferences : "Ensure Mail preferences for the account are set to trust mail headers. When I see the junk mail preference it says "trust junk mail headers in message" That sounds like I should deselect that. Trust sounds like they they say the junk mail is ok. I never went to this page before this happened.

Jan 19, 2020 10:08 PM in response to mmbak

I have had the same problem for the past 3 days, I have been using Apple email App for over 10 years and never had my junk mail in my inbox.

I checked my Hotmail setting and there was no junk mail in my inbox but when I look on my iMac or iPhone my inbox is filled with junk mail, I called Apple and they just checked my settings and told me to click junk mail when removing then and I was already doing that. it’s something to do with them because I’m noticing a few threads on this topic. It’s annoying because I get a ton of junk mail and right now it’s only doing it to 1 of my 3 emails.

Jan 20, 2020 2:03 AM in response to Mona24

If thr problem is nit going to junk foldet then making sure that junk headers ARE trusted and exception rules kept to a minimum should be the route.

Personally I have the opposite. I get very little junk mail and I try to keep it in Inbox to avoid losing important stuff.

Maybe time to create a new email account. Bite the bullet.

Jan 20, 2020 9:12 PM in response to LD150

Thank!

Today all seems to be working fine so what ever was going on has stopped and everything back to going to junk mail. I should just use a new email but companies will just sell it and I will be on another BS list or a company will have their system compromised and not saying anything for a year while your email is just floating in the dark web so you can get a million fake FBI or IRS emails or Russian babes waiting for me lol

just disgusting lol

Jan 21, 2020 1:14 AM in response to Mona24

Yes, I used to have two main email addresses, one "best" one that I kept for banks, insurance, credit cards, Amazon, Ebay and the government and another expendable one that I used for forums, minor companies and dodgy sites.

My expendable email NEVER got any junk mail, which suggested that the leaks were coming from one or two of the best institutions in the world.

I did once have an email address from our British Telecom that allowed you to set up dozens of aliases and you could use the company name in the alias so that any junk mail could be identified as coming via that company'sleaks. Regrettably they just denied responsibility.

all junk mail is going into my mailbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.