You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pictures folder in Finder and Photos

On my MacBook Pro, I have pictures that are in the Pictures folder in Finder and then I have pictures that are in the Photos for Mac app but the two are not the same. I want to merge the two so that they are identical. Changes I make in Pictures folder in Finder do not affect the Photos for Mac app and pictures in my Photos for IOS that are taken on my iPhone or iPad are not added to my Pictures folder in Finder.

How can I merge the two without creating duplicates?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 10:13 AM

8 replies

Jan 19, 2020 11:01 AM in response to clwentz1969

You don't need to and want to as you would be doubling the storage requirements on your hard drive. Once you import photos into your library and you verify the import was successful you can delete the source file from your hard drive. This, of course, assumes you're running a "managed" library:

i.e. you're copying item into the library during import. It's not recommended to use a "managed" library.

Jan 19, 2020 11:36 AM in response to clwentz1969

Open your library and create a smart album with these criteria:

If you get zero items matched you're running a totally managed library. That means that you can delete the corresponding source files from your Pictures folder. What is checked in your library's General preference pane?

iCloud will only sync with photos that are in your library. If you keep another set in the Pictures folder you might want to move them to an external hard drive as a second backup.

Pictures folder in Finder and Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.