You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login Keychain Password Lock will not persist

MacOS 10.15.2 Catalina.

If I go to Access Keychains and click on File, Lock All Keychains it will lock the login password keychain as expected. The padlock icon changes to locked.

Next time I log into (say) my webmail in Safari it askes for the password.

It then concurrently unlocks the keychain. Padlock icon reverts to open.

Is this normal?

I have the same password for User Login as I do for Keychain.

In contrast, my Ipad will keep asking for the password as I would expect it to when logging into accounts that require Keychain.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 3:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 5:34 PM

I wonder if having the same password for Keychain as for User login, i.e. the default, that it unlocks automatically? I can see the convcenience, I was just looking for some added security.

Yes, sorry I missed that before. Same password unlocks keychain. If you want to be able to lock it, you must use a different password.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 20, 2020 5:34 PM in response to LD150

I wonder if having the same password for Keychain as for User login, i.e. the default, that it unlocks automatically? I can see the convcenience, I was just looking for some added security.

Yes, sorry I missed that before. Same password unlocks keychain. If you want to be able to lock it, you must use a different password.

Jan 20, 2020 7:55 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hi and thanks for responding. I cannot find the timed lock option, only Lock Keycheain or Lock All Keychains. I'll keep looking.

I managed to lock the Login keychain alone but it still let me sign onto here without asking for a password. During the session it did ask for password for "sharingd" and the padlock is still in place. Do I assume that the Safari saved passwords trump the Keychain ones?

Jan 20, 2020 10:20 AM in response to LD150

I set it to lock after 5 minutes inactivity and lock when sleeping. I woke up the Mac an the Login keychain was unlocked again.

Login Keychain Password Lock will not persist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.