You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my mid-2012 MacBook pro will not update

i recently purchased this machine as a stand alone for my small business; great bargain i could refuse plus LOVE apple products. now, when i go to update certain applications, i'can't. the previous owner's name/id pops up and i'm stuck. i'm friends with this individual and both of us together tried and tried to get her off, but no go.

help !!!

thank you in advance for your thoughts and time!

best regards,

chris

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 6:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 12:50 PM

You need to erase the whole physical drive and reinstall macOS. Here is what the previous owner should have done before selling the laptop:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

FYI, in later versions of macOS you may need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Erasing the whole physical drive is preferred even though Apple's documentation does not show this which is unfortunate and disappointing.

In addition to using Recovery Mode (Command + R) you can try using Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) to get access to the latest version of the macOS installer (assuming the laptop once had macOS 10.12.4+ previously installed at some point).

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 24, 2020 12:50 PM in response to CJK1971

You need to erase the whole physical drive and reinstall macOS. Here is what the previous owner should have done before selling the laptop:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

FYI, in later versions of macOS you may need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Erasing the whole physical drive is preferred even though Apple's documentation does not show this which is unfortunate and disappointing.

In addition to using Recovery Mode (Command + R) you can try using Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) to get access to the latest version of the macOS installer (assuming the laptop once had macOS 10.12.4+ previously installed at some point).

my mid-2012 MacBook pro will not update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.