You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

password but the only other screen I can get to is the one that has the lock on it with place for password under that. I don't remember passwords so how can I get to password reset prompt

I forgot my password to the initial log on screen on my 2010 MacBook pro I know my Apple ID and password but can't seem to get to a prompt to reset the password I only get a screen that has a big lock on it with another place to enter a password did I don't know how can I get to a prompt to reset my password

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 9:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 4:04 PM

Is this the screen you are seeing?

If so it means you have an EFI Firmware password set. If you don't remember the EFI Firmware password which can be different from your regular login password, then you will need to take the computer to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with valid proof of purchase so they can remove the firmware lock. See this Apple article for details:

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT204455

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2020 4:04 PM in response to bradly131

Is this the screen you are seeing?

If so it means you have an EFI Firmware password set. If you don't remember the EFI Firmware password which can be different from your regular login password, then you will need to take the computer to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with valid proof of purchase so they can remove the firmware lock. See this Apple article for details:

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT204455

password but the only other screen I can get to is the one that has the lock on it with place for password under that. I don't remember passwords so how can I get to password reset prompt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.