You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD backup hard drive not working with time machine

I keep getting a message from time machine: "Time Machine couldn't back up to "My Passport for Mac".

This WD hard drive is supposed to be linked to Time Machine without reformatting. what can I do?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 1:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 2:07 PM

Is this a new drive? If so, then you need to use Disk Utility to first erase the drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled) before TM can use it for a backup drive.

Or has this drive already been used on this computer as a TM backup and is suddenly not working?

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2020 2:07 PM in response to HWI69

Is this a new drive? If so, then you need to use Disk Utility to first erase the drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled) before TM can use it for a backup drive.

Or has this drive already been used on this computer as a TM backup and is suddenly not working?

WD backup hard drive not working with time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.