You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony Camcorder->Firewire->Thunderbolt->MacBook Issues

Trying to get movies from my Sony DCR-HC38 handicam to my mid 2014 MacBook pro (with Catalina) ... I've got a FireWire cable going from the camera DV port to a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter and into the MacBook -- and tried the camcorder in Play/Edit mode, but iMovie nor the Finder, nor System Report shows the device (interestingly, System Report shows nothing on either Thunderbird port, though I've got a monitor plugged in through one and it works fine). I've tried plugging things in in different orders, restarting, even tried Parallels with Windows 7.1 and Mojave, to no avail.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 3:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 5:58 PM

Yes, did try the other socket -- and in the meantime, discovered that my old late 2009 iMac has a Firewire port -- so tried connecting directly to that (with the firewire 800-400 cable I was running through the thunderbolt adapter for the MacBook) -- and shazam. iMovie recognised it right way and lets me download the videos. So it's something about the fw->tb connection on the MacBook I guess. Anyway, I'm sorted for now. :)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2020 5:58 PM in response to Rich839

Yes, did try the other socket -- and in the meantime, discovered that my old late 2009 iMac has a Firewire port -- so tried connecting directly to that (with the firewire 800-400 cable I was running through the thunderbolt adapter for the MacBook) -- and shazam. iMovie recognised it right way and lets me download the videos. So it's something about the fw->tb connection on the MacBook I guess. Anyway, I'm sorted for now. :)

Jan 25, 2020 5:53 PM in response to WellyJon

This is not something that I have done, so hopefully others who have hands on experience will chime in here.

Most tape based cameras are supported by iMovie. However, since your DCR-HC38 is not being recognized it may not be supported. On page 47 of the HC38 manual it gives instructions on how to transfer to a Windows computer, but nothing about a Mac. Also, even with a Windows computer there is special software that first must be installed. You might contact Sony support to see if the DCR-HC38 will import to a Mac, and if they have any recommendations.

Also, is the HC38 possibly a PAL format camera? Not sure if it makes a difference, but it might.

Instead of importing directly into iMovie have you tried using the Image Capture app on your Mac to import to your desktop? Of course, that would necessitate that you Mac recognizes the camera in the first place.

Have you tried switching to the Thunderbolt socket that you know works, such as the one in which your monitor is connected?

-- Rich

Sony Camcorder->Firewire->Thunderbolt->MacBook Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.