You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't connect a keyboard to my old mac mini (2007)

I'm trying to get my old mac mini restarted because it has some software on it that I lost when I updated my new mac to Catalina. The old computer starts, the OS loads, I get a login screen. I have connected a wired mouse because it says it can't find a wireless mouse. But it still can't find a keyboard. I have an old wired keyboard but it doesn't recognize it. I also have a wireless keyboard but it doesn't see it and asks me to make sure it is discoverable. I don't have any of the documentation for the mini, so I don't know how to proceed. any wisdom would be much appreciated. BTW, the device I chose is wrong, but there is no way to specify an ancient mac mini).

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 4:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 6:00 PM

Try another USB keyboard.

It doesn't have to be an Apple keyboard, most any Logitech or Windows USB keyboard will work with a Mac.

If that doesn't work.

Then it sounds like maybe the USB ports are not working.

Another option, is to pull the HDD from the old Mac Mini and put it into a USB drive enclosure or on a USB to SATA adapter and connect it to the new MAC. see > https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini_Model_A1176

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2020 6:00 PM in response to toyvin

Try another USB keyboard.

It doesn't have to be an Apple keyboard, most any Logitech or Windows USB keyboard will work with a Mac.

If that doesn't work.

Then it sounds like maybe the USB ports are not working.

Another option, is to pull the HDD from the old Mac Mini and put it into a USB drive enclosure or on a USB to SATA adapter and connect it to the new MAC. see > https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini_Model_A1176

can't connect a keyboard to my old mac mini (2007)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.