You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost notes..

I lost all my notes on my Mac Air after upgrading to Catalina. I had not taken any backup before the upgrade. Is there a way to retrieve them? Can't find them even after enabling 'On my mac' account in preferences. Need help!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 2:50 AM

1 reply

Jan 29, 2020 8:52 AM in response to dipaldesai

Hi dipaldesai,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you lost data from Notes on your MacBook Air and you're seeking a means to recover them. I can share information to help answer this.

Recovery of Notes will depend on where you had your notes saved/synced, i.e. iCloud, third-party account, or local on your Mac. Please see the information below for more details on each option.

-If your notes were being synced with iCloud, you may be able to recover notes that were deleted in the past 30 days, from the iCloud website following these steps: Delete and recover notes on iCloud.com - Apple Support. Please note, this is available with upgraded notes only.

-If you had your notes saving to a third-party account that was set up on your Mac, i.e. an email account, you would want to check with the third-party provider to see if there are any recovery options through your account.

-If you were saving notes locally to your Mac, but you did not perform a backup, there would not be a way to recover the notes. Please consider backing up your Mac in the future: How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support.

Best regards.

Lost notes..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.