You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Telephone Scam

On Sunday, January 26, 2020, I received a telephone bot call stating the caller was from Apple support and my iCloud account had been breached. The call came from the following number at 3:06pm EST.

813-393-****

It showed up on both my phone and TV as "Apple Inc".

I found this link, related more to what I heard today.

https://www.****.com/lookup/813-393-****

Hope Apple is tracking this and keeping people safe.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 12:33 PM

4 replies

Jan 26, 2020 2:21 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Apple has plenty of cyber/fraud employees/contractors to track this kind of activity and work with law enforcement as they gather evidence from their user base. The main issue is to gather the evidence and continue to build a case. Have you asked your user base, if anyone has fallen for this and lost time/monies, so they can aggregate the amount? That is usually what moves law enforcement. One phone call won’t matter, but if you track the activity, you can map it over time and start to see patterns.

Apple has good products, but it is your user base that helped to build the company by purchasing product, otherwise, Apple would not exists. Apple should do their part to bring down these rings. A little over a year ago, Brian Krebbs reported the same issue. I would post a link here, but seems Apple doesn’t want me to.

What is Apple doing specifically around vishing scams and how are they educating their user base regarding these. I think they could do more.

Jan 26, 2020 7:59 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Phone numbers can change, but ultimately it all has a DNA that can be traced back to the creator. It is a matter of understanding the patterns representing the work of the spammer/fisher. Look at what you are not seeing vs what you are seeing. Looking at what we think we know is the easy part. Looking at what is not easily visible in the pattern(s) is the path to understanding what is hidden in all data.

After I posted this, I received another vishing call stating Apple support again. Since at least you seem not to understand, I will take this up in another direction. I will tell you the support number provided was similar to this.

208-262-xxxx

I have filed complaint on all three phone numbers.

Apple Telephone Scam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.