You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

black screen catalina

My mid-2012 Macbook Pro still has a problem. It's running Catalina - 10.15.03

The machine boots OK, but the screen remains black. I can only use the machine by logging in remotely.

I have tried many things to fix this:

• I've reset PRAM many times
  • I've booted in 'safe mode'
  • I've deleted caches
  • I've disabled 'graphics switching' in preferences -> power
  • I've removed all suspicious old .kext files
  • I've searched for other solutions
  • It is intermittent, so I know there's nothing wrong with the screen hardware. When it works, it's fine

I've seen similar problems mentioned with Catalina - and tried all the solutions suggested, with no success.

Any ideas of what I should try next?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 6:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 1:53 AM

Intermittent working of the screen does not eliminate hardware fault which could be an intermittent connector fail.

Personally I would take at least two backups, preferably Time Machine plus two clones, then do a recovery of the original OS that came with it. see how it operates.

use Shift-Option-⌘-R

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

If it fails it is hardware IMO

if it is reliable then do a recovery install of Catalina with

Command (⌘)-R

etc

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2020 1:53 AM in response to Fustbariclation

Intermittent working of the screen does not eliminate hardware fault which could be an intermittent connector fail.

Personally I would take at least two backups, preferably Time Machine plus two clones, then do a recovery of the original OS that came with it. see how it operates.

use Shift-Option-⌘-R

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

If it fails it is hardware IMO

if it is reliable then do a recovery install of Catalina with

Command (⌘)-R

etc

black screen catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.