You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch models & version updates January 2020

I've looked at the model number, but I am unable to verify the version my iPod touch.

(I am not able to determine what generation I have.)

I am trying to use Amazon Music app and it recently updated to allow version 9.4, but my iPod touch is stating it's current at 9.3.5 and I am unable to use the app.

Do we contact to find out if Apple needs to send out an update?

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 4:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 5:47 PM

The iPod touch 6 does not run iOS 13, as stated here

https://www.apple.com/au/ios/ios-13/

The highest version of iOS the iPod touch 6 can run is iOS 12. To update go to settings then general, then software update. The update should be in that section to be installed.

8 replies

Jan 28, 2020 1:05 PM in response to rhodes65

rhodes65 wrote:

I think mine is 6th Generation, because I have the Red iPod Touch and I notice in parenthesis at the bottom:

iPod touch (6th generation) is available in five colors, as well as a (PRODUCT)RED version.

I believe the Product Red version was also available in the 5th gen models.

However, as you have the Product Red version, to correctly identify between a 5th and 6th gen Touch, look on the back case. If the back has a pop-out button (known as the Lanyard Loop) in the lower left corner, it's a 5th gen model:

(I believe the 16GB iPod Touch in 5th gen does not have this button, but the 16Gb was not available in Product Red.)

The highest version of iOS that the 5th gen Touch can run is iOS 9.3.5.

The back of the 6th gen Touch looks like the one below:

Note that the 6th gen Touch does not have the pop-out button. The highest version of iOS that the 6th gen Touch can run is (at the time of writing) iOS 12.4.4. My understanding is that it cannot run iOS 13.

So to summarise, an app that requires iOS 9.4 or higher cannot be used on the 5th gen Touch.

iPod touch models & version updates January 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.