You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Deleting pictures from Photos is not changing library size (Mac, Catalina OS, emptied 'recently deleted')

I have deleted 2000+ pictures from the Photos app (Catalina OS, Mac) but the library size in Finder is not changing. I have manually deleted pictures from the Recently Deleted folder, emptied Trash on the Mac, Restarted the Mac, and read through previous posts in this forum and googled for answers. Please help!! The library is 235 GB and the size is not changing even after 1 day (in case there is any background system processing/cleaning that needs to be done).

*The Photos library is not synced to iCloud.

** When I click on all photos 'info' within the PHOTOS App- I do see that the number of total photos has reduced, as has the overall size after deletion. I understand that the 'Library size' will always be higher because it has a lot more information about the photos... but the issue is that the total size hasn't changed at all.

Thank you.

MacBook

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 6:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 8:59 AM

Update: Spoke with an Apple Rep and they confirmed I was doing all the right steps (via screen share). He suggested that the Mac re-indexes itself inside Finder and given the library size of 235 GB it might take a couple of days to finish the process and see the reduction in file size.

Updating in case this helps anybody else in a similar situation.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 29, 2020 8:59 AM in response to MacSC20

Update: Spoke with an Apple Rep and they confirmed I was doing all the right steps (via screen share). He suggested that the Mac re-indexes itself inside Finder and given the library size of 235 GB it might take a couple of days to finish the process and see the reduction in file size.

Updating in case this helps anybody else in a similar situation.

Jan 29, 2020 9:16 AM in response to MacSC20

It is only after I installed yesterday's update to macOS 10.15.3 that my library is finally showing the correct size in the Finder. Initially the library has show a size of only 1.4 GB, with more than 50000 photos inside. And the size in the Finder has never been updated. But when I dragged the library to a different volume, the correct size of  230GB has been showing on the other volume.

Help! Deleting pictures from Photos is not changing library size (Mac, Catalina OS, emptied 'recently deleted')

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.