You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac wont restart since Catalina

Hi,

Since the upgrade to Catalina I've been having a lot of issues with my iMac.

However, the most annoying one is not being able to restart.

When I try, all apps shut down and so does my finder, but then nothing happens.

Just an empty desktop screen.

I reinstalled Catalina and updated to the newest version, yet nothing seems to help.

Here is my system log from around the time I tried to restart.

Hope someone has an idea..

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 12:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 7:11 AM

Hello Benny Arts,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I understand that your iMac won't shut down as expected, and that updating and reinstalling macOS Catalina didn't help. I'd love to assist you.

For this issue, I suggest taking the steps in the section, "Turn off (shut down) your Mac" in the support article below:

How to turn your Mac on or off

From there, double check your Energy Saver settings to be sure that nothing is preventing it from powering off:

Change Energy Saver preferences on Mac

Lastly, you can try booting into safe mode, then checking to see if it'll power off that way:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

I hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2020 7:11 AM in response to Benny Arts

Hello Benny Arts,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I understand that your iMac won't shut down as expected, and that updating and reinstalling macOS Catalina didn't help. I'd love to assist you.

For this issue, I suggest taking the steps in the section, "Turn off (shut down) your Mac" in the support article below:

How to turn your Mac on or off

From there, double check your Energy Saver settings to be sure that nothing is preventing it from powering off:

Change Energy Saver preferences on Mac

Lastly, you can try booting into safe mode, then checking to see if it'll power off that way:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

I hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Feb 11, 2020 6:45 AM in response to Benny Arts

Benny Arts,

Thanks for getting back to us after taking those steps. Since it sounds like the issue doesn't happen in safe mode, you might have incompatible login items. From here, I recommend booting into safe mode again, then following the steps in the section, "Test your login items" here:

If your Mac has a blue screen or other startup problems

Have a great rest of your day.

Mar 17, 2020 4:12 PM in response to Benny Arts

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but in the past, I found that my Macs OS wouldn't complete the start up process after an upgrade because it for some reason decided it didn't like one of the connections of my peripherals. When I disconnected them all, it started just fine. By restarting and connecting each peripheral one at a time I found which connection it was. It was the mouse being connected to my keyboard. I then connected the mouse into a different USB port and all was well. Give it a try and see what happens. And good luck.

iMac wont restart since Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.